Are you scared of breastfeeding your baby, because of the pain? Or are you looking for ways to relieve breastfeeding pain or sore nipples?
Then you are in luck, as this article will focus on home remedies to heal sore nipples very fast.
Pain during breastfeeding is a common problem among nursing mothers, and if you also experience breastfeeding pain, know that you are not alone.
Depending on your choice, there are lot of nipple cream, that you can use to relieve sore breast, but if you want to go the DIY route, you need to finish reading this article.
Causes of painful breastfeeding
Painful breastfeeding can be overcome using natural pain reliever and nipples cream. There are so many causes of painful breastfeeding, this includes:
- Poor positioning – If the baby is not positioned correctly to suck the breast, it can lead to painful breastfeeding and sore nipples. Learn to position the baby correctly to latch will help to reduce breast engagement.
- Enforcement – Milk comes out after 2 -5 days after childbirth. During this period, the breast becomes full and hard. When the baby is not positioned correctly, the mother will experience severe breast pain.
- Blocked duct – Blocked duct can also cause pain among nursing mothers. The duct is blocked by a small lump, which causes pain to the mother.
- Mastitis – Mastitis is the inflammation of the breast which is caused by blocked milk duct. It usually forms a red and tender spot on the breast and can lead to other infections.
- Breastmilk pump – Breastmilk pump can also cause sore nipples if you are using the wrong size. Ensure that you choose the correct size for your breast.
8 Home remedies to treat sore nipples
Sore nipples are very easy to treat using home remedies if you want to buy sore nipples cream, try Lasinoh lanolin nipple cream for breastfeeding.
- Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil can be used to treat sore nipples because of its immense benefits. Its anti-inflammatory properties help to relieve the swelling and pain associated with sore nipples.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with lukewarm water.
- Soak cotton cloth into the mixture.
- Gently rub the affected area of your breast with the soaked cloth and allow it to dry.
- Once dry, rinse with water.
- Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar solution is effective in treating sore nipples, it helps to kill microorganisms and keep nipple fresh.
- Mix one tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
- After breastfeeding, dip a cotton ball into the apple cider vinegar solution.
- Gently place it over the nipples. This helps to kill the microorganisms.
- Apply one tablespoon of coconut oil on your nipples to prevent your nipple from getting dry and cracked.
Breastmilk has a lot of antibacterial properties to kill bacteria and also prevent your breast from getting dry and cracked.
After breastfeeding your baby, gently rub a small amount of breastmilk on your nipples.
- Aloe vera
Aloe vera can be used to treat some nipples because of its soothing power.
- Cut open aloe vera leaf into two and scoop out the aloe vera gel.
- Rub the aloe vera gel on your nipples gently.
- Olive Oil
Another essential oil that you can use to treat sore nipples is olive oil.
- Mix one drop of olive oil and one drop of tea tree oil in lukewarm water.
- Soak cotton cloth into the mixture, and gently place the cotton on your nipples.
- Rinse it with water.
- Chamomile Teabags
Chamomile tea bags are full of anti-inflammatory properties, which help to reduce the swelling and pain usually experience by nursing mothers with sore nipples.
- Soak two bags of chamomile tea in hot water.
- Wait for a few minutes, and remove the teabag.
- Allow it to cool down and place it on your sore nipples.
- Ice cubes
Ice cubes have soothing properties and can be used to relieve the swelling of sore nipples.
- Place some ice cubes in a cotton cloth.
- Gently press the cloth filled with ice cubes on your sore nipples for 10 minutes.
- Basil leaves
Basil leaves can be used to relieve sore nipples because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take a few numbers of basil leaves an wash it with water to clean them.
- Grind the basil leaves into a thick paste and add honey. Stir the two mixture together.
- Apply the mixture to your nipples and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it with water and repeat 3 – 4 times a day.
Nursing mothers should take good care of themselves by observing proper hygiene as this prevents sore nipples.
Remember to wash your bras with mild detergent, this is because detergents can also lead to the build-up of infection around the breast.